Thursday, February 9, 2012

Great week!!!

I haven't written this week because hubby is away and I have been spread pretty thin. Most nights I was asleep by 9, the only reason I am still up tonight is because I just got home from Maternity Clinical and I am pumped because I SAW MY FIRST BIRTH (from the catching side) -- more on that in a minute.

Tuesday was my first Psych clinical and I have to admit it was fascinating. It is by no means what I want to do forever but it was really very interesting. We had a patient who thinks they are the Director of Homeland Security and has all the satellite numbers to transmit satellite intelligence. Very Jack Bauer. Also a med student who was self medicating and wants to prescribe meds to all the other patients on the floor as well as diagnose their illnesses. Very House, M.D. And a homicidal suicidal patient with colorful detailed plans of how to carry out both. Very Silence of the Lambs. Speaking to them is fascinating, realizing they look just like you and me is just plain scary. Lots of patients below the age of 30 too. If you would like to know what it was like just take a trip to your local Walmart and start conversations with some of the people there. Did I just say that??? Shame on me! :-O

Tonight was Maternity Clinical and it was AMAZING!!!!! Within 15 min of being on the floor my professor grabbed me and said "You're going into a birth right now." Sure thing that is exactly what happened! I got to be with the Mom and baby from pushing through recovery and then took her up to her postpartum room. It was amazing!!!!! I want to share every last detail of what happened but I can't because of privacy/confidentiality. I can just assure you that it was one of the most amazing experience of my nursing career and my life and I will NEVER forget it! I am so thankful for the opportunity and am honored to have been a small part of such a life altering experience for that family.

I have to say I think tonight was a checkpoint. What do I mean by that? It was a check point on my journey, God's way of telling me I am on the right track; His gentle reassurance that this is what I am being called to do. When that doctor handed that baby over to me it was like magic. It was just plain amazing.

Now the exhaustion is starting to set in. My vision is beginning to blur. It's time to go to bed. The week is over. Lots of school work to tackle this weekend. I'll just keep on keepin' on and take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment