Monday, December 16, 2013

The End of an Era


This is the end of my story -- at 11:40 I walked out of my last final exam in my nursing school career.  I walked out like any other day - no pomp, no circumstance.  It seemed very surreal.

I walked over to the bookstore with some friends to order my cap and gown, which I now have in my posession for graduation on January 15.  This is really happening folks!!!!  I keep thinking this is the end of an era, when it is really just the beginning of my career as a nurse.  That is why they call a graduation ceremony "commencement", because it is the beginning of a new chapter.

For the past 3.5 years I have been a student, and I am not sure that I know how to be anything else!  I put so much blood, sweat and tears into doing this, and doing it well.  It's going to be a big transition for me to be anything different!  Seems crazy, but it's true.

As of now it looks as if I am going to graduate with a 3.7 GPA which translates into magna cum laude.  I have never been magna cum laude in my life -- just looked longly at the names on other graduation programs listed under those fancy latin words.  This time my name is going to be there -- that is something that I am so very proud of.   I am graduating magna cum laude from nursing school!!!!!!  I want to shout that from the rooftops!  In fact, I just might do that! ;)

I thought about what to do with this blog now that nursing school is over.  I guess I can hang onto it until graduation day on January 15.   I know I want to have it published into a book so my kids can read it, and I can look back in a few years and remember just how hard this really was.   If I do keep it, it will have to be renamed from "michelewantstobeanurse" to "micheleisanurse".  We'll see where my heart takes me (and the blog).

Thank you for your support and for following me on this very challenging journey.  It has changed me, as a person, in more ways than I ever imagined it could or would.  It has brought me together with so many people - professors, friends, patients, mentors, and more that I would never have met otherwise. I am so very thankful for this blessing and for the opportunity to help people in need.


No comments:

Post a Comment