Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Paper, Projects, Presentations -- OH MY!

I suppose lions, tigers and bears seem much scarier to most, but for me this semester is filled with frightful busy work -- papers, projects and presentations.  I feel like I need to trade my stethoscope in for a computer keyboard!
I just finished writing a paper on public health legislation.  2-3 pages, identify your local representatives, examine the list of bills they support, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Seems simple enough, right?  Not so much!  My political idiocy was very clearly evident while I muddled through state websites and senatorial bills.  Finally, after many hours, enough hours to have written a paper ten times as long, I have a rough draft.  Seemingly the worst paper I have ever written in my life. . .  I found myself using big words just to make it appear that I have a clue as to what I am talking about!  Luckily it is only worth 5% of our grade.

I still haven't been in the presence of a single patient yet -- and I am chomping at the bit!!!  Last week was orientation and ATI RN predictor, a comprehensive test which allows you to determine your strengths and weaknesses so that you can better prepare for the boards (NCLEX).  My results made ATI 98% certain that I would pass the NCLEX on my first attempt with proper preparation.  I'm glad that ATI is so confident about that, because me?  Not so much!  I sort of felt like I was reading a ticket from one of those carnival genies who predicts your future.  Thank you ATI for being so confident in me but I think I stick to my neurotic study schedule since I am not so sure!

Tomorrow we go to the state health department and the state house to learn more about legislation and public policy.  It should be interesting -- I hope!  Then Friday I finally get to set foot in a hospital - YAY!  The day will most likely consist of tours and information so I probably won't be at a bedside until the following Friday.  Just get me to a patient already!!!

So the beat goes on. . . week two is half way over and I continue to forge ahead toward the finish line of this marathon called Nursing School.

Loving God , continue to walk alongside my fellow nursing students and me.  Provide us with the determination and perseverence to do your will as nurses.  Give us strength in our times of weakness and comfort in our times of struggle.  In your name, we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment