Sunday, September 15, 2013

Finally Set Foot in a Hospital!!

On Friday I set foot in a hospital for the first time this semester! Even though it was a day of orientation and there was no patient contact, I still feel that it was a step in the right direction.  This hospital does things very differently from the 5 other hospitals that I have done clinicals in -- and it seems like its all for the better!  It will be difficult to learn some new policies and procedures, but a lot of what they do really makes sense.  There will definitely be some transition time for me to get used to these new things, but I am looking forward to it!  And guess where I am going to be????  Wait for it. . . .


THE EMERGENCY ROOM!!!! I am beyond excited as spending time in the ER has been one of my goals since I started Med/Surg last fall.  I am anticipating a great experience and I can't wait to do my first rotation next Friday.  Woot woot!  I'm sure there will many tales to tell after this stint -- I'm hoping to see some things that I have never seen before.  I am just hoping that my preceptor is good and happy to have a student - otherwise things can go downhill quick.  We shall see. . .

In other news I was able to finish my legislative paper which was a feat in itself.  A politician I am not, but I do think this experience has made me more politically aware and more able to navigate my state's legislation.  Now that I am aware of some large health and safety related issues in my state I can better follow them and stay informed of where our little state is heading!

So two weeks are done -- only 13 more to go!  I am using every spare moment to prepare for HESI and NCLEX so there is not much downtime even though my classes aren't all that demanding.  I guess that is why they keep our course load light -- we can really get some good exam preparation in.  Eat. Sleep. Breathe HESI and NCLEX!  I joked to my husband that I am going to just leave a book in each room, that way whatever room I am in will tell me what book to read.  It started out as a joke, but now it is starting to sound like it just might work.  All of this means that unfortunately, this also rings true. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment