Friday, October 5, 2012

Things are so much easier when I listen.

It was a good week!  I started off with my first med/surg exam.  I wound up with 100.  That's right - 100.  I actually felt rather weird about it - like I didn't really want it!  I shouldn't complain, but I didn't feel challenged by the exam -- is that just because I was well prepared or because the exam was too easy?  Who knows.  This is where you tell me I am crazy and that I should just take that grade and run with it!  OK - I will.  That is my first 100 of nursing school and I am damn proud of it!

Tuesday was Pedi clinical.  Another great week!  Got to learn about septic arthritis - a very serious, life threatening condition where the synovial capsule of the joints becomes infected and fills with pus.  Very painful.  It can cause sepsis (a full body infection) or loss of the limb due to strangled blood flow to the bones.  It is very hard to see a child with that condition.  I did what I could to make things better in the time that I had - and I think I succeeded.  It was a very good clinical day.  I was in a pod all by myself (most hospital floors are separated into "pods" which are clusters of room around a nursing station.  Obviously my instructor had enough faith in me to let me be all alone in my pod!  I think I rocked things this week.  The nurse I was working with said I was one of the most competent student nurses she has worked with.  What a compliment!  I'll keep that one in my back pocket for sure!!!!

Then another 7+ hours spent on my Pedi prep.  Last week I got a 92 (she took off points for nit picky stuff) so this week I decided to devote the extra hour to making it PERFECT!  No more nit picky points taken off for stupid shit (*excuse me*).

Thankfully my med/surg paper got postponed one week so instead of being due today it is due next Friday.  This made me so happy!  I have a Pedi exam (#2) next Tuesday and I want to be sure I do better than I did last time so I was glad to devote the extra time to studying.

Today was med/surg clinical.  I had another fantastic patient (and a fantastic nurse!).  I got to do some patient teaching which is always fun - I love to share what I know.  I did feel bad for my  patient though - poor guy.  It was hard to see his frustration with his situation and the docs were struggling with a diagnosis (no one could really figure out what was causing his symptoms).  Again, I did what I could in the time that I had and in the end I think I made a difference - even if it was small.  At the end of the day that is all I can hope for.

So I think I was a better listener this week.  I know I am doing the right thing, I know I am in the right place. I have been re-energized for the moment and am trying to cover as much ground as I can before I start to peter out again.  Week 6 is DONE!  7 weeks to go. I know I can.  I know I can.  I KNOW I CAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment