Thursday, September 20, 2012

Success vs. Failure

Just when I was beginning to think I had a handle on things this semester, another wave came and knocked me right back down.  It's gonna be a long semester.  I took some time this morning to pray, asking for God's helping hand because for the first time in a long time I've had thoughts about giving up on something that I really really want.  I came across this in a devotional that I read and it couldn't have been more appropriate for me on this day.  I want to share it because we all have challenges that bring us to our knees.


THOUGHT FOR TODAY: “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:5

This is the story that went with it. . .

One warm Sunday afternoon some neighbor kids decided to have a bike contest.  They found a long board about seven inches wide, put bricks under both ends, and challenged each other to ride from one end to the other.  No one was successful.  Most rode off the board before the halfway point.  The task seemed impossible, until one boy’s visiting cousin wanted to try.  After a wobbly start, he rode his bike straight down the board to the other end without difficulty.

“How’d you do that?”  asked one of the other kids.  “See the huge knot in that tree?  That’s what I watched while I rode my bike,” was the answer.  All the other kids had focused on their bike wheels.  When they redid the contest, everyone was successful.

What made the difference between success and failure?  The crucial decision was where each child focused.  This is true in life also.  If we focus on situations or circumstance, it can be stressful and upsetting.  When our focus is on Jesus, we are at peace.  Trust him without worrying.  He is faithful and keeps his promises.

PRAYER:  Thank you, God, you love us and will guide us through everything that happens.  Thank you for always being there for me.  Amen.

The greatest challenge, most of the time,  is making the decision to turn everything over to God.  He knows the plans.  If we let Him be the captain our ship will never go astray.  Relinquishing the controls is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment