Friday, February 24, 2012

Week 5 already??

I'm not really sure where this week went!? I had so much to do and not enough time to do it all and here I am on Friday feeling a bit dizzy. The kiddos were off on February break this week and I don't know whether that had anything to do with the week flying by or not. The semester is nearly half over. WHOA!
Monday was my first Mental Health exam. I keep calling it Psych, but it is really Adult Mental Health Nursing. As far as I am concerned it is Psych. :) I got a 92 on my first exam. I am trying to make peace with that. The As are not important as long as I am a good nurse, right? A- will have to do. The first exam is always the toughest, I have no idea what to expect. This exam was extremely fair overall and I am happy with how I did.
Tuesday was Psych Clinical. It was a really boring day. The patients weren't up for any real conversation with anyone other than their fellow patients. It made for a long day. The funniest part was that the patients learned that the student nurses have the keys that open their bathrooms - they were just like little kids - asking me every 20 min to open their bathroom just because they could. One of my favorite patients was being discharged, which doesn't really matter because I am onto a new unit next week anyway. Next week I'll be in what they called the "Acute Acute Unit" which is the most "intense" patients in the hospital. I will be with my good friend, Karen, so that makes me feel better. The partner I had in Sub Acute was just so hard to warm up to. I am usually very easy to get along with and I get along with just about everyone but I just couldn't connect with her on any level. I look forward to working with someone that I know I "jive" with.
Yesterday was Maternity Clinical. YAY! I got to be with a laboring woman from the start of her pitocin where she was smiling, happy and talkative, to active labor where she was not smiling, unhappy and very quiet. I really enjoyed watching the process but was totally bummed about having to leave before she delivered! She and her husband were supernice and were so willing to have a nursing student which I was so grateful for! They had a little boy at home and were hoping for a girl this time. My professor emailed me to tell me she delivered at 11 last night but never mentioned the sex of the baby!!!! I want to know!!! Hopefully she will email me back with more info.
Still 100% sure this is what I want to do! I don't want to let this semester end because I am LOVING this clinical! Good news is I found out that as a senior we can choose our clinical location for our Transition to Professional Nursing class and we get to have a one on one experience with a professor in clinical. Women and Infants here I come again!!!! Not sure I will ever get the opportunity to work there (it's so political!) but I will be happy working in Labor and Delivery anywhere. South County Hospital would be by second choice under Women and Infants. Fingers crossed that it all works out! :)
So the week is over. I have a Maternity Exam next Wednesday and several papers in the cue. Additionally, I have to write a comprehensive mental health nursing care plan for Psych that is not worth anything toward my grade. FRUSTRATING!!!! I have already spent two hours on it today and am not even half way done. Grrr. If it's not going to be graded than it shouldn't take me many hours. >:(
I am still in awe of how quickly this first half of the semester has gone. I must admit I am looking forward to summer and sitting on the beach -- even if I am reading a 20 lb Medical Surgical book in prep for the fall while I sit. :)
Since it's Friday again it's time for 10 things I am grateful for:
1. Snow. It snowed today and made everything look clean and pretty for a few hours.
2. My Maternity Clinical. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thursdays and look forward to them all week!
3. Dark Chocolate. I ate some dark chocolate today which made me release some wonderful happy endorphines.
4. The couple that let me share their labor experience last night. You'd be amazed at how many moms do not want a student in the room at all. Without people that say yes to student nurses how would I learn anything?
5. Tastes of spring. It was 60 degrees yesterday.
6. Prof. DiBlasi - my maternity clinical instructor who is absolutely wonderful. We are her first clinical group but the experience thus far has been fabulous!
7. My daughter. She folded two loads of laundry for me yesterday without being asked! <3
8. My son. He never fails to make me laugh with his silliness.
9. The inversion table I borrowed from Matt & Cindy. My back was so bad mid week - without that table I am not sure what I would have done. Stress fractures in my spine are NO FUN!
10. Jobie. This puppy loves me no matter what and never ceases to make me happy with his wags and his kisses.
The standard is my husband. He is amazing. I don't know what I would do without him. He changed his schedule all around this week to be with the kids on Tuesday all day and Wednesday morning since I had school and they were on school vacation. I am thankful for him every second of every day. "A King would trade his finest crown for a love like this." ~ BlackHawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment