Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New Semester!!!!

Yay for my second semester of nursing school! I started back today, despite Hurricane Irene, which has delayed my kids' first day of school by a week (original start date was Aug. 30, now it is Sept. 6 :-O ). Campus was a bit of a mess with trees down and branches everywhere, but power was restored to the college last night at 5:00 so today was the first day for everyone (Monday was supposed to be the first day back for the semester). Today's class was Health Assessment (AKA, N224) -- a 3 hour lecture today, but in future weeks will be a partly lecture, partly "do" which should be fun. Tomorrow's class is Fundamentals of Nursing (AKA N223) - my first clinical!!! We will start off in the simulation lab working with the very expensive manikins, and will finish off the semester in a nursing home. I have very mixed feelings about that -- part of me can't wait and the other part is terrified!

I LOVE my professor (Debra Servello) which is good because I have her for both courses this semester. She is supposed to be one of the best, and based on her lecture today I am confident that I will enjoy her and also learn a lot. I am really looking forward to this semester. Having the summer off was really nice, great times with my kids, but I am glad to be back "in my element" doing something for me. As much as I enjoyed my time off I was missing school and am very glad to be back.

Also, I would like to make a clarification -- I have been told by someone that I convey the attitude that I am the only one who has ever returned to school and juggled a family. I am sorry if I have conveyed this attitude -- I do not feel this way at all. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has, or is currently, attending classes and juggling any other responsibilities (family or otherwise) -- I know it is a lot of work which requires discipline and dedication. That being said, no one else has ever returned to school and juggled my specific responsibilities -- just like I could never understand someone else's challenges and struggles. This blog is so that I can talk about my challenges, struggles, achievements and conquests because I am the only one who has dealt with my set of circumstances. To be blunt -- if you don't like it -- DON'T READ IT!!!!! I have stated before that this blog is for me and is to be privately published after I pass my Nursing Boards so that I can look back and share this journey with my children and others. For now, if others choose to read it then that is just a bonus! I say all of this in peace and with the utmost respect for all my followers. :)

Another aside, the class that I complained about nonstop last semester (Professional Nursing I, AKA 222) has undergone a complete curriculum change from last semester -- new books, new material, and two smart phone apps. I guess someone actually listened to us when we said that book sucked!

In closing, I'm so glad to be back!!!!! I am optimistic that this is going to be a fun filled semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment