Thursday, April 7, 2011

My First Patient Interaction!

Well, not really. . . we get to go to the Simulation Lab tomorrow and treat "Helen O'Brien" a frail 77 year old woman who is tired, weak, not hungry, has an elevated temperature, low blood pressure and elevated heart rate. She is a computer, so even if we kill her everyone lives happily ever after! :) It's still exciting to have my first "hands on" experience of nursing school. Hopefully I won't have to come back and report that I offed my first patient. :-/

I am still counting the days until May 11 -- yes my last final exam is on May 11. After that I am a free woman for the entire summer! Whoo-hoo! I am not sure that I will know what to do with myself without having to do school stuff 3+ hours a day! At least my kids can have their Mommy back and my daughter won't have to ask me, "Mommy, when is the last time we had a home cooked meal?" Life may be able to return to some semblance of normal for a while.

I am all registered for my fall classes. Wednesdays from 8 -10:50 I will have Health Assessment with Professor Servello and Thursdays from 7 - 3 I will have Fundamentals of Nursing with a conglomeration of professors for the first 7 weeks and then I will go to my FIRST CLINICAL in a nursing home with Professor Servello for the last 5 weeks. I wasn't sure about taking both classes with the same professor but from what I hear she is one of the best so I took advantage! So, I know my schedule for the fall, but now I have to wait and find out if the little man gets AM or PM kindergarten so I can determine my childcare needs. At least I am only in class two days a week so the amount of childcare needed is limited a bit. :)

Well, this was just a quick update. I hardly ever write on Thursdays but I was so excited to report about my trip to the Sim Lab tomorrow. Hopefully I will have a good story to tell when it is over. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment