Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nursing 101

I need to tell a funny story.  I shall call my story:
If you talk to me often you know how DONE I am with pediatrics this semester.  The class is so up and down and all over the place, it's sort of like a dark comedy.  I have tried, and I mean really tried, all semester to like the professor, I have given her every benefit of the doubt, but she has made it virtually impossible.  Between spelling errors on exams, exams that just don't make any sense and nit picky grading of care plans, she has given me more reason to not like her than to like her.  I am still trying, but I am getting no where.  And that is that.

Monday was my fourth pediatrics exam.  The exam grades have been like a rollercoaster.  First exam no one did well, exam was a bear, highest grade was an 84, average was a 72.  Second exam, she adjusted her questions and added a crapload of bonus questions and everyone did much better (mostly 90s, average was 85) so she adjusted again -- I guess that one was too easy.  Third exam was then harder, no one got an A, highest grade was 89, most of the grades were in the 70s.  Once again, adjusments made, then along comes exam 4.  Now let me preface this with the fact that I went to Florida for Thanksgiving.  I left the day before Thanksgiving and returned home Sunday evening (alone, leaving my family in Florida on vacation and returning home FOR THIS CLASS).  I didn't study the entire time I was in Florida, only on the plane ride down and back.  So Monday morning I headed into the exam with a very laissez faire attitude, the semester is almost over and I really don't give a crap any more.  So I took the exam and walked out feeling stunned -- like "what the hell just happened".  Once again the exam was all over the place, questions didn't make a whole lot of sense.  I muddled through.  I was thankful to know the answers to the two bonus questions (worth 5 points each).  Let me just interrupt by saying: There is something VERY wrong when the professor has to give 10 points of bonus questions on an exam to "help" students do well.  Then came the waiting for the grade.

So this afternoon I get a text from a friend telling me grades are up and that the highest was a 101, and the lowest was a 70; and she bets I got the 101.  I laughed to myself - with this class I could have gotten the 70 or the 101, that is how unsure I feel about these exams.  Once again, adjustments were made since everyone didn't do well on the last exam.  I am consistent, look at my grades from all my other nursing classes.  I consistently try my best and tend to do pretty well.  It is the content of this class that is inconsistent.  So I quickly sign in to BlackBoard to see my grades, all the while my heart beating out of my chest.  And what to my wondering eyes did appear?  101!!!!  I got 101 on the exam.  I laughed out loud, like this was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.  101.  Ha ha ha ha ha!  On an exam that I stunned me, like a deer in the headlights of a car.  101.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  Pft!

So that is my funny little story.  Hopefully you see the same humor in it that I do.  Although you probably won't, because at this point I am so sick and twisted that even the clinically insane wouldn't understand.

101.  Ha ha ha ha.  I'm still laughing.


No comments:

Post a Comment